Skip to main content

Silent Night

Afternoon People!

Today, I have my first sponging manicure to show you! It was a bit of a steep learning curve (who knew?!) but I figured it out in the end :)

I was inspired by the following image;


I fell for the subtle but earthy colour palette and the simplicity of the whole image :) To be honest, I'm not sure I did the photo justice but I had a go!


I started with a base of OPI 'My Vampire Is Buff', the most perfect ivory nude, on most of my nails. I could have used a white base but I didn't want the orange in my gradient to be too bright.

On my thumb (glitter accent nail), I used a base of Butter London 'Branwen's Feather' and oh my goodness is it stunning. At first glance, its just an average blackened aubergine but a closer look reveals delicate bronze, silver and purple shimmer; so deep and gorgeous!


When that was completely dry, I created the sponge gradient using Butter London 'Branwen's Feather' and Barry M 'Mango' (creamy, bright orange), with the orange right at the tip of each nail. Once I was happy with the opacity, I added a coat of La Femme 'Silver Glitter' (small silver glitter).


To do the Milky Way, I used a small detail brush and bits of sponge to dab on thinned nail polish until I was satisfied with it. I used the following colours; Revlon Parfumerie 'Beachy' (antique gold shimmer), Barry M 'Cocoa' (chocolate brown), Barry M 'Lychee' (bone nude) and Butter London 'Branwen's Feather'. This was the most difficult part and involved a lot of layers!


For the stars, I used Maybelline 'Top Splatter' (matte white hex glitter) from their Acid Wash collection. I also added a few more dabs of La Femme 'Silver Glitter'.  Then I used a small detail brush and Butter London 'Branwen's Feather' to paint on the rugged land horizon at the tip of each nail.

On my thumb, I added a coat of Hay Girl 'Hot Cocoa & Marshmallows' (mix of metallic brown, copper hex glitter and silky white hex glitter). Finally, I used Essie 'Good To Go' (fast-dry topcoat) on each nail.


Overall I'm happy with this nail art but it's not quite how I wanted it; I think I went a tad overboard with the glitter which I never thought was possible! I do adore the colour palette though, especially the glitter accent nail. Absolutely love the base colour and glitter combination!

Hopefully the next few galaxy inspired manicures will turn out a bit better :)

Thanks for reading!

Kayleigh :)

Comments

Favourites

The Beauty That Is Striping Tape

Mooning Around In Lace

Inspiration: Cozy Autumn