Skip to main content

Movie Night: Gladiator

Hello!

When it comes to films I'm not really into romcoms or anything girly, I'm more about the action and science fiction!! The more loud bangs and suspense involved, the happier I am :) So, Gladiator is one of my absolute favourite films ever and it was only a matter of time before it made it's way onto my nails...


I used a variety of images for inspiration and eventually settled on a final manicure centred around Maximus and his role as a gladiator (duh). I started by painting all my nails in OPI 'My Vampire Is Buff', the most perfect nail polish for nail art!


Using a small flat brush, I dabbed and sort of smooshed OPI 'Glints Of Glinda' (diluted with nail polish remover), all over each nail to add some texture. On my middle, ring and thumb nails, I repeated this step with Orly 'Nite Owl', although on my ring finger, I created more of a gradient.


On my ring nail, over the gradient, I painted the well known Colosseum image (I think it might be the DVD cover image?).
I first used a small detail brush and Orly 'Nite Owl' to paint in the basic shapes. Then I mixed OPI 'Wooden Shoe Like To Know?' and China Glaze 'Stone Cold' to paint in more detail and add solidity. I used Essie 'Sand Tropez' to add in the arched windows/gaps!


On my pinkie and pointer nails, I used the above picture to create the turbulent sky.
Using a small flat brush, I painted in the bulk clouds with OPI 'I Have A Herring Problem' (blue-grey), China Glaze 'Pelican Grey' (soft grey) and Barry M 'Peach Melba' (peach). I added in detail and contrast with Barry M 'Blackberry' (navy), Revlon 'Zealous' (yellow) and 17 'Orange Soda' (soft orange). Using a flat brush instead of a detail one makes painting this sort of abstract effect so much easier!!


On my thumb and ring nails, I painted Maximus's gladiator helmet and then his shield. I used a small detail brush and built up each image in layers, from light to dark using the following nail polishes; OPI 'Skull & Glossbones', China Glaze 'Pelican Gray' and OPI 'I Have A Herring Problem'. Finally, I added details with Essie 'Blanc' and China Glaze 'Stone Cold'.  I quickly learnt that less is definitely more when it comes to painting on this scale!!


I finished it all off with Champneys 'Top & Base Coat'! Phew, that was a lot of nail polishes and painting!! It took my two hours to complete the whole manicure but it was totally worth it!

 
I'm really proud of this manicure as I've never managed to do such intense complicated nail art!! In fact I'm so pleased with these, I may never take them off!!!! Ha ha!!
 
Thank you for reading pretties!
 
Kayleigh :)

Comments

Favourites

A Pastel Easter

The Ladybird Factor

Beachcomber